Campervan packing list that will make your trip carefree
Posted on 22/07/2018 by Michael Arthur
The best tip for packing for a campervan trip is don’t over-pack. The UK is not big enough to ever be in the middle of nowhere. You’ll never be more than a short drive from a shop. This simple campervan packing list covers the essentials and will make it a road trip without worries.
The less you pack, the more room you’ll have in your campervan and fewer items to lose whilst on your trip. I have given you some essentials, without being too patronising (I assume you’ll remember to pack your toothbrush!) So here it goes, my campervan packing list.
Clothes: running around naked is frowned upon
All you’ll need is a few comfortable and practical outfits, and something a little more glamorous if you plan to venture out somewhere classier than your campsite. Other than the obvious clean socks;
- Raincoat/umbrella: Sorry, I take that back, that was a little obvious. Never underestimate the British weather’s ability to change without warning, regardless of the season.
- Good walking shoes/trainers: One pair is all you really need. Flip flops are not the most useful pair of shoes for the UK, and if you do find yourself in the midst of a sunny spell, you can grab a cheap pair.
- Swimwear: On the off chance you witness some of the intermittent British summers. One can dream…
Technology: to connect or disconnect?
Personally, I think a campervan road trip is a great excuse to have a break from technology, so these are my essentials.
- Smartphone: If only for an alarm and to let your mum know you’re still alive. Phones are also useful for downloading apps which can help you find good restaurants, points of interests, etc. You can even download apps like VoucherCloud which will give you discounts for restaurants and attractions.
- Your favourite tunes: Make sure you have uploaded the latest hits onto your iPod, smartphone or hi-res audio device. Or go for the offline version of Spotify. A sing along competition or campervan karaoke is so much more fun than having to talk all the time.
- GPS/SatNav: It will make the journey more pleasurable if you can be angry at a machine for giving you wrong directions, rather than the co-pilot. Bring your own or hire one from Spaceships.
- Charging cables: And preferably something to store them in to avoid them disappearing in the night. A zipped freezer bag will do the job! You don't want your device to go without power.
Entertainment: oldskool or newskool?
You’ll probably want to think of a few things that you can pack that will help to pass the time when you’re not driving or exploring your new destination, and these are my top choices;
- Pack of cards: Perhaps google some card games before you go. I highly recommend spit!
- A good (e)book: Or 2, depending on the length of your trip.
- Sports equipment: Bring a ball or frisbee to keep you amused during the long summer evenings. It's perfect for a bit of a sportive competition with fellow campers.
Personal hygiene: want to smell funky or fresh?
I could write an entire blog just on this item on the campervan packing list. But at the end of the day, you’re in the UK, and there will always be a 24-hour supermarket or garage just around the corner, so I suggest packing the bare minimum;
- Toilet roll: You’ll be surprised how fast you use it, although not necessarily for the purpose it is made for.
- Baby wipes: Don’t pretend you’ve never had the classy baby-wipe shower but there’s more to these deceptively simple wipes. Use them to clean your shoes, wipe down the table, clean your hands, the list goes on and on.
- Dry shampoo: This one is for the girls, and as all girls know, it’s a lifesaver!
- Travel wash: To keep your limited clothes stock clean.
- Insect repellent: Especially if you’re going to be in forests or near water.
- Sun cream: Well, a little optimism never hurt anyone, right?
General items on campervan packing list
A few things that didn’t appear to fit into the other categories;
- Bottled water: When you’ve finished you can refill the bottles whenever you’re at a service station or campsite.
- Map: For when you begin to doubt your GPS’s ability to give you correct directions, or just if you’re feeling a little retro.
- Washing line: This can also double as a place to hang your clothes if you have things prone to creasing.
- Daypack: Large enough so you can carry valuables that you wouldn’t want to leave in your campervan.
- Torch: I think that’s pretty self-explanatory, let there be light!
- Camera: Always keep it handy when you’re driving in case you spot something exciting on the side of the road. Although it's recommended to have the co-pilot take photos while driving.
- Snacks: Make sure its food that won’t go off easily, such as dried fruit, nuts and cereal bars.
And that’s it. Easy as. Obviously, there may be things worth packing in your campervan that aren't on my list, like life-saving medication, so don’t take my campervan packing list too literally. It is a starting point that will help you to create your own personal campervan packing list. As a rule of thumb, it’s a pretty good list, if I do say so myself.
Latest blog posts in Road trip tips
Camping on a budget: easy and inexpensive fun
So you just left school or are living on a moderate income, maybe you just started working a regular job and have a limited income right...
10 UK Travel Bloggers you should be following!
Guidebooks are essential for travel but an even better way of getting top travel advice is to enter into the world of travel blogs. The travelling...
8 Money saving tips for a cheap road trip in the UK & Europe
If you’ve already booked a Spaceships campervan or motorhome for your holiday, then congratulations, because you’ve probably already saved yourself heaps of money! As most people...
Picking a campsite is easy with Spaceships and ACSI
If you have had the pleasure of travelling by Campervan and Motorhome before, you will know that feeling of true freedom. You travel where ever the...