Free Camping - What are the rules in the UK
Posted on 07/10/2013 by Grant Hooker
We often get asked about the rules for free-camping or "wild camping" in the UK and where customers can park their campervan for the night.Scotland has specific legislation on wild camping. Firstly, it's important to make the distinction between wild camping in a tent and parking up in a motorhome or campervan. The Land Reform (Scotland) Act of 2003 allows wild camping on most unenclosed land, but this does not cover "motorised activities" so doesn't really apply to campervans.
For more information check out the Scottish Outdoor Access Code.
England and Wales don't yet have specific legislation.
There are some simple tips to follow if you are thinking to free-camp:
- Always follow the signs. If a sign says "No overnight parking" or "No camping" then please follow it. Ignoring these signs can land you with a fine.
- If in doubt ask a local person. Nobody has better information than the people who live in the area. They may even point you in the direction of a better spot.
- Spaceships Campervans cannot be taken on unsealed roads so any free-camping you do will be at the roadside or in car parks
- If you are asked to move on please do so. This is much less likely to happen if you aren't making noise.
- Ask yourself if it is worth saving £8 - £15 per night to forego the amenities of a campsite. Campsites in the UK generally have excellent facilities and often have the best locations and views
Latest blog posts in
Adrenalin Activites in the UK
New Zealand is THE country of adventure and Queenstown on the South Island is the adventure capital of the world. That might be true but you...
Why you should visit the UK right now
You haven’t been to the UK yet? You’re missing out on something big! Stunning landscapes making you feel like you’re in a different world, lovely people,...
Discover the local European Cuisine
Roadtripping through Europe but don’t feel like cooking all the time? Don't want to be stuck with instant noodles and bread? Well we’ve got something for you then. Dive...
Best way to see Europe: Campervan Hire vs Interrail pass vs Contiki bus
One of the hardest decisions young travellers have to make is which mode of transport to choose to see Europe. What to see, when to see...